The Canadian authorities have put in place a new system to speed up the pace of issuing visas to skilled migrants. This new system is called Express Entry and it is used to manage the applicants for permanent residence from those who are wishing to enter the country under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program and the Canadian Experience Class.
How to Get Jobs in Canada through Express Entry
In order to apply for your visa through the Express Entry system, you first need to determine your eligibility. In order to be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program you need to meet the following requirements:
1. At least one year of full time paid work experience or equivalent to 1560 hours total in part time work, working in the same employment for the entire period. This work experience must have taken place within the last 10 years and must be at one of the skill levels 0, A or B of the NOC (National Occupational Classification).
2. French or English language skills to Canadian Language Benchmark level 7, proven by taking an approved language test in speaking, listening, reading and writing. This test must have been taken and passed within the last two years to be valid.
3. A Canadian secondary or higher level educational certificate, degree or diploma or an equivalent foreign credential.
4. Proof of financial independence or a job offer from a Canadian employer.
5. Admissible to Canada.
Those applying through the Federal Skilled Trades program must meet the following criteria:
1. Meet the necessary English or French language skills criteria.
2. Have 2 years of previous work experience within the last 5 years in a skilled trade (or the equivalent hours in part time work).
3. Have the necessary skills, qualifications and experience to work in your chosen skilled field.
4. Have an offer of employment for a minimum period of one year from an approved Canadian employer or a Canadian issued certification in your skilled trade.
Your skilled work sector must currently be one of the following in order to be eligible:
Maintenance and equipment operation
Technical and supervisory roles in agriculture or natural resources
Central control operators
Processing and manufacturing
To apply under the Canadian Experience class, you must meet the following requirements:
Have 12 months of full time or the equivalent in part time hours skilled Canadian work experience within the last 3 years
Meet the necessary language requirement
Your work must have been in one of these skilled categories:
Technical or skilled trades
How to Apply for Express Entry
If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for Express Entry to Canada by going online to the government website and completing an Express Entry profile. On this online form, you will need to outline your experience and skills, your language abilities, you educational background and any other necessary or relevant details.
Once your application has been processed and approved, you will be entered into a pool of successful candidates.
Candidates who do not yet have a job offer from a Canadian employer must then submit a registration form to the ESDC Job Bank which will assist in connecting candidates with employers who are looking for staff within Canada. Candidates are also able to look independently for work in Canada by using online job boards etc.
Comprehensive Ranking System
All candidates in the pool are ranked against each other and those with the most points from their application will be invited to apply for permanent residence in Canada. Candidates receive points depending on whether they have an offer of employment, their qualifications and experience and whether or not they have already been nominated by a territory or province.
If you are invited to apply, you have a period of 60 days in which to submit your permanent residence online application form. Most applications are processed within a period of 6 months from the date of application.
A candidate is permitted to stay in the pool of candidates for a period of up to 12 months. If, at the end of that time, they have not yet received an invitation to apply for permanent residence, they are permitted to submit another application and rejoin the pool for another 12 months. This speeds up the application process.
Candidates should note however that entry into the pool of candidates cannot guarantee them an invitation to apply for permanent residence. Even if a candidate is invited to apply they must ensure that they meet all of the admissibility and eligibility criteria under the country's immigration law, otherwise their visa will not be accepted.